Judicial Watch, a government watchdog group, announced Friday it’s suing the Department of Justice for the infamous memo that former FBI Director James Comey leaked to the press, per Washington Examiner.
The suit is in response to a FOIA request by the watchdog group earlier this month that the DOJ did not respond to.
Check it out:
“That we have to sue in federal court to get a document that was read to a reporter at The New York Times is a scandal,” Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton said in a statement. “This Comey memo should be released forthwith and, frankly, the president can and should order its immediate release.”
The group made the announcement around the same time that it was reported the FBI refused to release the memos, citing that they were part of a matter that was being investigated.
At least one of the memos Comey mentioned during a hearing before the Senate Intelligence Committee on June 8 is unclassified, the report said. However, the news outlet was informed the memos are part of a “pending or prospective law enforcement proceeding” and therefore could not be shared.”
The agency added:
“Releasing all of the documents could “reasonably interfere with enforcement proceedings.”
It was revealed Comey himself leaked the memos to the press during his testimony two weeks ago, when he admitted to asking a friend to share them with the media.
Comey testified earlier this month that he leaked one of the memos to his longtime friend, Daniel Richman, a professor at Columbia Law School. Comey told the intelligence panel that he wrote down details about his conversations with Trump in order to have a reference point if the administration were ever to disagree about a conversation the two had in the past.
The New York Times and CNN are both suing for the memos as well.